I want to make a list of the tips I have picked up along the years while I have been writing and editing. Some or all of these will probably be known to you, and you might be thinking, DUH! But I'm listing them anyway, as a reminder to myself and for those who might not be aware of one or two and need the advice for self editing. 1. When someone turns to face a character, it's best to say something like swirled around rather than twirled. 2. Avoid saying: I looked. I heard, where necessary. For example. I looked at my vanity table that was on my right. Instead try: The vanity table on my right.... I heard echos in the other room, could be: Echos from the other room... 3. Avoid redundant sentences: I ran fast to get to the house quicker. It's obvious why, if someone is running home. Instead it could be: I ran home as fast as I could. 4. Avoid dangling participles. Basically they are sentences that make a character sound like they are doing too many things at onc...
Comments
Post a Comment